- A Lot of Layers: Here in Chicago fall temps are often cool enough that multiple layers are not only possible but necessary. Nothing makes this pasty white, scared-of-the-sun lady happier than piling on layers of clothing.
- Dance Season: In addition to performances from our amazing local dance troupes (I'm looking at you Joffrey, Hubbard, River North and Giordano), each fall Chicago hosts blow-your-mind-with-how-good-they-are guest companies. This past weekend I enjoyed the spectacular work of Ballet West and Aspen Santa Fe Ballet.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Doughnuts: I'm going to confess something. I don't like pumpkin spice lattes. Okay, I'm going to confess two things. I think we go overboard with the pumpkin explosion in the fall. Recently, the abundance of pumpkin has made me less than enthusiastic about the flavor in general. But yesterday, I tried something that made me fall back in love with pumpkin. Glazed and Infused's pumpkin chocolate chip doughnut made me a believer again. It is rich, it is decadent and it is worth every calorie. Get one. Soon.
- The Chicago International Film Festival: Last year at The Chicago Film Festival I saw and quickly fell in love with Silver Linings Playbook. So you can understand why I'm sifting through this year's scheduled carefully and excitedly figuring out what to see. Maybe I should see The Book Thief? Or perhaps The Fifth Estate would be the right choice. I'm also considering 12 Years a Slave. What a fun dilemma to face.
- It's Not Winter Yet: Every person I speak with warns me that this is going to be a brutal winter. I say bring it on - but just not quite yet. These in-between fall temps are the perfect preparation for the chill that is on the horizon. Mild fall days mark the last few times we can enjoy being outside without snot freezing to our upper lips. Sometimes looking to the future can make you really appreciate the present!
What do you love most about fall in your city?